To A Nigerian Child


Dear Nnoma

Looking into your eyes,
I do not see the world.
I see pupils, dilated from the reflection
Of the rising sun in them... I see light.

Im encouraged by this excitement that dances on your
teeth when you laugh, it reminds me of the night fire that flickered on the candle sticks we used in 1999...
Carefree, untamed... I see you Shining.

As i watch you sleep,
The deep set lines beneath your chin are more pronounced
A portrait of generations past...
Years of hope that validates the achievements
Of honest sweat...
This relaxed frown on your face... The curve of your mouth
Carrying honest expectations of a people striving to thrive... I see your father.

When your hand squeezes my finger i remember..
The hustle and bustle of the market place, the diversification of these days youth...
The tangible possibility of you becoming a tailor or a photographer, sheer beauty
eccentric culture rising from the ashes of head strong traditions... Nwam I see hope.
#Msray




Comments

Popular Posts