Short Story: Glimpse Of Glory.

As I sank deeper and deeper into sleep, awakening was a bright vortex beyond my reach. I screamed as I sunk deeper but my voice wouldn't come out. I looked down and I saw their eyes huge and sinister now,  a million and one hands stretched out to grab me "No please let me go", all I heard was laughter, loud eery laughter, then voices they wouldn't stop speaking but I could hear them all at once " you are of the grave, of this grave you are", "who are you?", I tried to make out the words but nothing came out.  I was limp, a ball of lead , noodles for limbs, I could sense my heart beat weaken, it switched from a steady thump thump to a silent thud and then a restless ease, in that moment I stopped breathing.

My dreams were more desirable than the nightmare I was living. Dead.
I sank into oblivion, I know this because the voices, they grew distant as I was sucked into a whirlpool of memories, as I floated though the awkward swirl I saw my mother, her beautiful skin soft and sweet against the golden rays of the sun, a desire able find. I stretched my mutilated limbs to touch her but my limbs passed through the mist of floating swirls, a teardrop left my eye and floated towards another memory of her, the dull calm sunk me deeper into folds of empty unknown, until slowly, steadily, I passed out again dead.

***
It was the chirping of a blue robin perched on a stalk that woke me up, my crusty eyes struggling to adjust to the light that pierced into my cold flesh warming me sweetly... the sun!
I smiled as I rubbed a moist palm over my face and then on my slowly bulging belly, I burst out laughing why? I do not know, my joy could not be spoken in words.
I wriggled my toes as I stretched myself towards the sky to take in the full beauty of the morning,
Satisfied with the feel of the soil, beneath my feet. 

Such bliss, such glory. 

-------------------------------------

~Unless a seed falls to the ground and dies, it is alone.~

Comments

Popular Posts